Bechtel has a long tradition of technical and engineering excellence in supporting multiple industries. Bechtel’s internship program was created to cultivate real-life industry interest based on hands-on experience. Many new university graduate hires began their careers at Bechtel as a student intern.
Corporate & Public Affairs Interns will provide support to corporate and project teams in the areas of public affairs, communications, social media, media relations, general business, research, issues management, digital communications, audio visual, and multimedia communications support efforts, including graphic design and production, web updates, photo and video requirements, and assisting with data and document management, or related non-technical fields.
The total number of hires and start dates are subject to workload and business conditions. Locations will vary based on the project needs, and may include Houston, TX or Reston, VA, along with various project sites.
General Job Duties
- Performs research, writing, and assists in the compilation of background information on specific public affairs issues
- Assists in monitoring media articles as they affect business
- Performs a variety of tasks, including coordinating meetings and events, writing news releases and regional media alerts, developing articles for internal communications, and updating social media outlets (e.g. Facebook and Twitter)
- Creates information products using graphic design
- Responds to client inquires and performs research for special assignments
- Produces communication plans for internal and external initiatives
- Currently enrolled in a four-year Bachelor’s degree program in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Broadcasting, Mass Communications or a related field from an accredited college or University
- Completed at least two years of undergraduate studies
- Possess the eligibility to work and remain in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screen and background check
- Proficient in writing, editing, computer applications, and operating systems
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point
- Proficient writing experience
- Experience in graphic design software, such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop
- Familiarity with web design and social media is a plus
- Advanced skills in written and oral communications
- Demonstrate teamwork, strategic thinking, problem solving, strong interpersonal skills, initiative with professional discipline, motivation, and the desire to continually learn