The American Press Institute seeks to hire an Audience Engagement Strategist to join our team that runs Metrics for News, an innovative custom program that helps publishers better understand their audiences and what drives engagement. Our team helps publishers create smarter, more data-driven content strategies that align with their editorial mission and support their business goals.
This role would be an integral part of a close-knit team that runs Metrics for News. It would involve helping our partner newsrooms use data to discover what, how and why audiences engage with their journalism.
If you like developing strategy, learning about audiences and empowering newsrooms to think differently, this job is for you.
This job is well suited for someone who likes to learn about audiences and how to better serve them, dig into analytics to discover what works and what doesn’t, and train journalists on how to use data to inform editorial decisions, support business strategies and larger organizational goals.
It’s also an excellent role for people who enjoy developing resources to support newsroom content strategies, writing public reports about how analytics can transform a beat/team/newsroom, and speaking publicly about how newsrooms can use data to support their editorial priorities and mission.
This is a role that’s highly consultative. You will be working with reporters, editors, audience and analytics teams at newsrooms big and small across the country. You will be helping them focus on their audience through analytics and community surveys. You will be training teams to discover what works and what doesn’t in their journalism, helping them navigate their analytics and consult on content strategy. If you like developing strategy, learning about audiences and empowering newsrooms to think differently, this job is for you. This job will also involve writing about success stories from our partners that will be shared publicly.
Job duties include:
- Be the primary point of contact with partner news organizations for consulting and data analysis.
- Work closely with partner news organizations to customize and manage their Metrics for News software.
- Execute online surveys of people who live in partner news organizations’ local communities.
- Analyze community survey results to spot significant themes.
- Train partner news organizations on how to analyze Metrics for News data to spot significant insights into what kinds of news readers are most engaged with.
- Develop resources to support newsroom efforts in content strategy and audience engagement
- Write public reports to summarize the lessons and transformations produced by news organizations who use our program
- Travel to visit partner news organizations for training and consulting based on the research.
Candidates for this job should have:
- Familiarity with audience analytics programs for publishers, such as Google Analytics, Omniture, Chartbeat, etc.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to present sometimes complex information in a clear and engaging way.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and efficiently with partners and colleagues.
- Organization skills to manage several projects at a time.
- Minimum 3 years experience in relevant fields of journalism, analytics or change management
- Analytical thinker who enjoys working with and analyzing data to extract insights
- Experience analyzing data and recommending actions
- Experience conducting workshop-style in-person training and online training
- Well organized, detail-oriented
- Strong skills at maintaining external relationships
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment
- Experience with constructing and analyzing surveys (particularly using Survey Monkey) is a plus
- Experience in working in a newsroom is a plus
- Full time position with health benefits and 401k retirement plan
- Salary commensurate with skills and experience
- Flexible, modern work environment with management focused on your results and productivity, not just hours spent at a desk
- Preference for candidates who live in or can relocate to the Washington, D.C., area and work from API’s office in Arlington, VA
To apply: Email a resume, a letter explaining your qualifications and desire for this role, and any relevant samples of writing or research, to email@example.com. Please mention “API Audience Engagement Strategist” in the subject line so we can direct your application to the right people.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible.