The Communications Assistant will provide a wide range of services and support for the Director of Communications. Through this position, the student will develop skills in creating and executing content for multiple varied mediums to meet the goals of the COE’s strategic communications plan through unified messaging.
The Student Communications Assistant will be expected to research topics, find and interview sources in a professional manner, write in AP style, and hit deadlines. The intern will need:
• excellent time management skills
• demonstrated writing skills particularly knowledge of AP style
• to be extremely detail-oriented
• the ability to take feedback well
• the ability to collaborate with other members of the team
• to be resourceful and thoughtful
The intern will manage multiple special projects including (but not limited to):
• Social media management and analytics reporting
• Content creation for brochures, fliers, intranet, website
• Research news articles – particularly writing about COE research projects
• Project management
Experience Required/Preferred (leave blank if included in position description above)
• Currently enrolled University of Oregon student
• Completed application, submitted to supervisor before due date
• Detail-oriented and able to adhere to deadlines
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work accurately and effectively
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
• Willingness and ability to work approximately 8 – 12 hours per week, typically during normal business hours (8 – 5, Mon – Fri)
• Ability to work independently, work in a team environment, and work with people from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality policies and procedures
• Willingness to learn new systems and applications
$11.75–$13.55/hour (depending on experience and academic year)
Interested individuals should submit the following application requirements by October 26, 2018, to Jessica Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for Communications Intern”. Please include these documents in one PDF:
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications as they pertain to the position description
• Writing samples
• Answers to attached questions (see below)
• Names and contact information for two professional references who can confirm your skills
• Screenshot of current class schedule from Duckweb
Please answer the following questions and include them in your application as outlined above.
• Why are you interested in this position?
• Describe your computer skills and your experience using Microsoft Office applications.
• This position works approximately three hours per shift. After reviewing the job description to gain an understanding of the position, how will you prioritize and manage the workload?
• The COE brings in more research dollars than any other college in the university, what experience do you have in reading research articles and papers?