The OCIAS Communications Assistant will work closely with the unit’s administrative team to develop a streamlined communications approach that will invite students and faculty to share exciting opportunities and practices surrounding their international education. This may include working on departmental/program newsletters, weekly email updates with opportunities, and other internal and external publications highlighting student and faculty publications, career accomplishments, innovative pedagogies, and various other achievements.
This position will work with the OCIAS Undergraduate Coordinator to receive assignments related to the various departments and programs that make up the unit. These assignments are primarily assigned via email, and should be attended to promptly—an ideal candidate for this position should be able to check email once or twice a day and be proficient in the primary social media channels. The ideal candidate must also have experience in managing independent projects, have excellent writing skills, and possess the ability to represent and expand the OCIAS presence on campus. The OCIAS Communications Assistant must be able to research and learn about the OCIAS goals, programs, and opportunities for students independently and efficiently. Time-management skills are an essential part of this position. Lastly, an ideal candidate for this position must be self-motivated to think creatively and develop an communication strategies that fit the OCIAS department and programs’ independent brands.
Communications Assistant responsibilities can include:
- Following up on story leads introduced by supervisor.
- Interviewing faculty and alumni about their publications, career accomplishments, innovative pedagogy and other achievements.
- Attending classes or unit events for story research and development as assigned
- Writing feature stories based on those interviews and inputting into the various OCIAS media platforms
- Update internal event calendars and increasing awareness of OCIAS Event, programs, and student opportunities through campus wide channels
- Management of OCIAS department and programs’ social media platforms and development of new social media strategies
- Provide social media consultation to the OCIAS related UO student groups
- Update OCIAS webpages using the Wordpress Blog format as requested
- Track communications through online analytics and present reports to supervisors as requested
- Backup to office support as needed
• Excellent interviewing and writing skills
• Proficient in using Facebook, Instagram and Youtube
• Working knowledge of WordPress
• Experience working independently with minimal supervision
• Experience receiving assignments and communicating often via email
• Writing/Editing experience with online publications
• Understanding of brand representation in an online setting
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Familiarity with OCIAS departments and programs (African Studies, Asian Studies, European Studies, International Studies, Middle East and North Africa Studies, Latin American Studies, and Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies).
• Expert proficiency in any other social media platforms
• Graphic design experience
• Coursework/Experience in graphic design, public relations, advertising, media management, marketing or related field
• Coursework/Experience in OCIAS departments/programs
Send a CV/resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, 02/20/2019