Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com.
Digital Storytelling and Social Media Strategist
The Statesman Journal in Salem, Oregon, is seeking a collaborative leader with expertise in digital storytelling, social media, SEO, and metric analysis.
As a senior newsroom leader, you are passionate about sharing recommendations for content creation to ensure it reaches target audiences. Strategists work across the newsroom with editors, reporters, photographers and producers to grow our digital reach. They are fluent in video production and love to experiment with new technologies.
You will direct digital work, focusing on storytelling, alternative story formats, video social media and SEO. You will collaborate and help guide journalists before, during and after content development, helping innovate and elevate our journalism.
Candidates must have at least five years of journalism experience, including editing experience. Excellent leadership, team building, coaching skills, and experience in leading change and innovation are required. You also should have advanced knowledge of social media and digital analytics.
- Directs digital work of newsroom journalists, focusing on storytelling, alternative story formats, social media and SEO. 60%
- Works with senior newsroom leaders and across the newsroom to set digital goals and develop individualized and topic-specific audience engagement strategies. 30%
- Creates and conducts training. 10 %
- Excellent leadership, team building and coaching skills.
- Experience in leading change and innovation.
- Advanced knowledge of emerging audience analytic tools as well as existing analysis and social media tools such as Omniture, Chartbeat, Crowdtangle, Excel data, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and Google Analytics and the ability to interpret and apply such data in creation of content that has high potential to engage key audiences.
- Ability to produce and edit video stories.
Salem is Oregon’s state capital. The Statesman Journal covers Marion and Polk counties in the Mid-Willamette Valley, home to hundreds of vineyards and wineries and craft breweries. The Statesman Journal is one hour from Portland, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and amazing outdoor experiences are even closer.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.