Providence is calling undergraduate senior level college or university students to a Summer, 2018 internship with Volunteers in Action at Providence Hood River Hospital.
Preference is given to applicants who are in the first generation of their families to attend college. For the purposes of these internship opportunities, this is defined as the applicant's parent/guardian has not earned a Bachelor's degree.
The Volunteers in Action intern will provide support to the Program Coordinator with administrative duties. Intern will gain experience in aspects of volunteer management including scheduling, tracking, data recording, and recruitment.
- Lead the adoption and integration of Volgistics Volunteer Management Software
- Set-up VIA Volgistics account
- Import volunteer and assignment information from RideScheduler into Volgistics
- Update expired volunteer information
- Expand volunteer profiles to include interests, availability, and demographic information
- Help VIA go paperless by scanning and uploading current volunteer and client paper files into Volgistics and adapting current volunteer and client applications to online format
- Train volunteers on how to use Volgistics software
- Assist with the expansion of outreach efforts for volunteers
- Develop and monitor volunteer rewards and recognition programs
- Assist with events, as needed
- Shadowing VIA Program Coordinator, as directed
- Limited direct service to VIA clients, if an interest and opportunity are identified
- Other duties, as assigned
- Gain hands-on skills and experience working in an office setting
- Develop your resume and gain future references
- Grow confidence within a supportive team setting
- Build social networks and make new contacts
- Become an expert in Volgistics Volunteer Management Software, which is commonly used by a wide variety of volunteer organizations
- Enjoy the satisfaction of helping vulnerable adults to maintain their independence and quality of life
Length: One academic quarter/term ~10-15 weeks. Maximum of 240 hours (please note, there is no guarantee of a full 240 hours, final schedule and hours are dependent on internship assignment)
Time Commitment: Be available 2-5 days per week, per term
Work Hours: Dependent on department, business hours are typical. Less than 20 hours per week.
Pay: $15/hr. Non-benefits eligible.
Start and end dates: June 18-August 31, or once 240 hours have been completed.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High school diploma or equivalent and completion of 3 years of post-secondary education
- Enrolled in and working towards a post-secondary education (Bachelor’s degree) or have graduated with a Bachelor's degree within the past six months.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Experience working or volunteering to address health disparities
- 1 year of customer service experience
- Medical terminology coursework experience
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish-speaking
After applying, selected candidates will be sent an online, video recorded interview that can be completed on a smart phone, computer, or tablet. Candidates selected to move forward will then be invited to an in-person, panel style interview. About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updatingfrequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefullylistening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
Our Mission As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
About Us Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.