The Chronicle of Philanthropy is seeking an enterprising, digitally savvy staff reporter to join our newsroom. The staff reporter, data and accountability will harness data and other information on nonprofits to produce explanatory reports that help nonprofits, foundations, policy makers, and others better understand key issues and benchmark performance. The reporter will work on building data and stories on executive compensation and fundraiser pay as well as other issues that can be found by gleaning informational tax returns (990s) and other sources. This role reports to the Managing Editor and will be the newsroom’s data guru, responsible for helping reporters and editors do a better job of assessing and analyzing data they use in their day-to-day reporting.
- Create and produce stories and data-driven presentations about charity fundraising achievements, designed for both digital and print formats.
- Build articles and data-driven presentations based on 990 data about executive compensation and fundraising compensation. Most of this work will originate digitally but will occasionally be part of our print storytelling.
- Work with 990s and other sources of information to find stories about the nonprofit world, especially those that point out potential areas of importance for donors and policymakers.
- Provide beat coverage of impact and evaluation measurement, and how nonprofits and donors are assessing progress.
- Collaborate with reporters to find, analyze and understand data sets to be used as the basis for stories and in interactive news projects.
- Provide guidance and tutelage for other reporters on using data and databases.
- Work with the data and interactives team in a collaborative manner to produce innovative digital projects, from initial concepts through final development.
- College degree or equivalent of 4-6 years’ experience in database reporting.
- Ability to report and write clear and accurate stories, and conduct research on tax filings and through surveys.
- Demonstrated skillfulness in working with spreadsheets, databases and data analysis software.
- Experience performing critical data and statistical analyses and explaining findings clearly and succinctly.
- Possess a strong work ethic, a commitment to meeting deadlines and a desire to expand knowledge.
- Experience reporting on the nonprofit world or working in a data role involving nonprofits is a plus.
- Experience with SQL.
- Our pay is commensurate with experience, and our benefits are among the best in the business.
We’d love to hear from you! Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least three examples of published articles you worked on as a reporter or data journalist to firstname.lastname@example.org