The Immigrant Story is a volunteer led non-profit organization based in Portland, OR. We chronicle stories of immigrants to document and archive our voices in a short human-interest story format. Our vision is to provide curated, customized and relevant content to enhance empathy and create a shared community. In other words, we want to tell stories to make a change.
We are looking for driven students to take their skills to the next level. This is a rigorous program designed exclusively for students who are goal-driven and already have a mastery of writing. Students will learn how to write in AP style and interact with vulnerable communities. This is an opportunity to learn on-the-job journalistic processes through publication. By the end of the internship, students will leave with a well-rounded experience and a portfolio.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Produce smart, engaging content with great accuracy and quick turnarounds
● Lead and proofread the overall content and be responsible for the production of the highest quality content
● Write one to two stories a month, find sources, conduct interviews, compile research, and publish
● Assist with social media and editorial planning
● Skilled at visualization and storytelling
Qualifications and Skills:
● In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an accredited institution and be able to provide documentation to confirm your degree progress
● Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits)
● Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
● Must be 18 years of age or older
● Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the U.S. without a visa or sponsorship
● Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills for the Web are required
● Possesses a high degree of integrity and maturity; exercises good judgment at all times.
● Experience working with your campus newspaper preferred
● Passionate about the progressive political agenda, and in particular believes in the immigrants and refugees causes
Job Type: Volunteer