Apply to be a TruthBuzz Fellow in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Are you a media expert with a track record of success leading innovative projects in newsrooms? Do you have sharp audience-engagement skills? Interested in deploying your multimedia savvy to combat misinformation in the United States? If so, consider applying for a full-time, 12-month TruthBuzz Fellowship.
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), with the support of Craig Newmark Philanthropies, is looking for an experienced and driven media professional based in the United States to help verified facts reach the widest possible audience.
TruthBuzz Fellows will act as change-makers and serve as the catalyst for the adoption of creative ways of making facts go viral. The Fellow will join a global team of fellows from five countries (US, Brazil, Nigeria, Indonesia, India), each working closely with local news partners to improve the reach and impact of fact-checking and help “inoculate” audiences against false or misleading information. Fellows will experiment with different storytelling methods and platforms to reach more people. They will not be involved in the actual fact-checking work, instead supporting the work of fact-checkers.
The U.S. Fellow will be embedded with two partner media organizations, News & Observer and PolitiFact, to spur the production of their fact-checked content in innovative and compelling ways. We envision the Fellow working primarily from Raleigh, North Carolina where the News & Observer is based (with occasional travel to the PolitiFact offices in Florida). If relocation is not an option, we are willing to be flexible for the right candidate. We are looking for an individual who can start the 12-month fellowship in late October/early November.
Applicants possessing various levels of experience are welcome to apply.
Required qualifications include:
• Experience working in newsrooms
• Sharp audience-engagement and communications skills
• Entrepreneurial mind-set and demonstrated background in getting projects off the ground
• Demonstrated interest in experimenting with alternative and creative forms of storytelling
• Professional proficiency (speaking, reading and writing) in English
• Ability to communicate program results as a speaker, writer
While not required, applicants with multimedia, programming, design or other digital skills are preferred. To read the full criteria and TruthBuzz Fellow FAQ, go to https://proxy.qualtrics.com/proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icfj.org%2Four-work%2Ftruthbuzz-fellow-faq&token=Ysp2WZgf0y9N5oid%2BuktFSkb9plosfYdxZLXCKhQzQs%3D
The selected Fellow will receive:
• An opportunity to attend a three-day orientation in Washington, DC from October 24 - 26, 2018
• Monthly honorarium (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
• Professional allowance to supplement their work
• Small funds to travel to conferences and events related to the goals of the TruthBuzz Fellowship
• Training and collaboration opportunities with First Draft News, a project of the Shorenstein Center at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government on research
To be considered for the fellowship, individuals must submit an application at https://proxy.qualtrics.com/proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tfaforms.com%2F4666168&token=CdddDMcP2lkShVYbRE5WRXHMRknEiYdYdTxoEmEPhYw%3D including a project proposal with a timeline and an essay outlining their skills. Only completed applications submitted by the deadline will be considered. The deadline for the U.S. Fellowship is October 8, 2018 by 11:59 pm (EST). If you have any questions or problems with the online form, please contact Alexsandra Canedo at email@example.com or Cassandra Balfour at firstname.lastname@example.org.