KOIN 6 a Nexstar Media Group, Television Station in Portland, Oregon is seeking a Weekend Meteorologist with a compelling on-air presence.
Job Summary: The weekend meteorologist will possess excellent on-air skills in addition to contributing to all our social media platforms. Candidate will be able to produce news content. Must possess reporting, shooting, writing, and editing abilities. Must have a degree in meteorology or related sciences
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce and present weather/news reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather/news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather / news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast daily.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• The job includes reporting three days a week.
• Ability to shoot pictures and edit stories from beginning to end.
• Winning candidate will be posting on the web and social media.
Requirements & Skills:Ability to write story from beginning to end. Knowledge of ENPS helpful.
• Proficiency with WSI is helpful.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist I must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. 2 years’ experience in weather presentation and reporting preferred.
Please visit the Work for us page on our website at www.koin.com https://proxy.qualtrics.com/proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2NpjYBu&token=H1zbtMJN7wHGFXc6Xjh5XIIzNU5fxvwQtKf6CmmnGqc%3D or at the Nexstar Website at: https://proxy.qualtrics.com/proxy/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2JxnUO8&token=R6L6I9O5c%2BPq2j%2BBjyOxVZEB%2BMdQwUHMJzSOCVAV290%3D to complete the application process.